Translate To

Powered By Blogger

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Angel Falls, Venezuela


Angel Falls is the world's highest free-falling, freshwater waterfall at 979 m (3,212 ft), with an uninterrupted drop of 807 m (2,648 ft). It is located in the Canaima National Park, in the Gran Sabana region of Bolivar State, Venezuela.
The base of the falls feeds into the Churun River, a tributary of the Carrao River. In the indigenous Pemon language Angel Falls is called Parekupa-meru meaning "waterfall of the deepest place". The falls are sometimes referred to as Churun-meru, an error, since that name corresponds to another waterfall in the Canaima National Park. Churun in the Pemon language means "thunder".
Although sighted in the early 20th century by the explorer Ernesto Sanchez La Cruz, the waterfall was not known to the Western world until it was visited in 1935 by American aviator James "Jimmie" Crawford Angel on a flight while he was searching for a valuable ore bed. In 1936, Angel returned and landed his plane at the top of the waterfall. The falls are named "Angel Falls" after him.
For the native Pemon Indians, the mesa on which the falls are located is called "Auyan-tepui", or "Aiyan-tepui". which means "Devil's Mountain"

4 comments:

Rachelle said...

Hi Silfiriel!!
Wow! Did you take all these pictures??
They are soooo beautiful. I wish I could travel... I did a long time ago- to Hawaii and Jamaica.
I want to go to Ireland and Scotland before I die.... better get going!!
I am going to link you on my blog, okay?
Bye!! *waves energetically*
Slainte~
Rachelle

silfiriel said...

no rachelle, I haven't been to all this places,(wish i had),I've been only to Poland, but i've got 4000 pics of places on my computer and I thought it would be nice at least to inspire people to travel, because the world is just amazing.
I've noticed the "slainte", I suppose there is some Irish connection since you wanna go there, huh?
Pozdrav! (Bye)

Russell Maddicks said...

Hey Silfriel,

Just got back from Angel Falls. Nice to see you like to post Wikipedia articles on your blog.
I wrote a story about a US tourist who swam out too far into the cold, choppy waters of the Canaima lagoon and met what the Pemon Indians believed was an ancient spirit in the form of a giant anaconda.
What do I know... but the story is true, and I was there:
http://www.venezuelanindian.blogspot.com/2007/08/canaima-pemon-spirit-of-death.html

silfiriel said...

it must've been awesome out there. So can you stand beneath the waterfalls, or get on the top of the plateau?

The Adventurer Presents

Sit back, fasten your sit belts and enjoy the ride. Will travel to places all around the world within seconds, comfortable, with all the

luxuriates your home offers. Join me on this journey, it's funnier together!
This is for all those that are on the road too, this could be your guide to new adventures!

Click the pics for a million dollar view!
They are all Hi-Res!
Subscribe

Enter your email address: